Sep 1, 2009

Beers & Bears

Sep 1, 2009
One day when it was unbearably hot, I took shelter at Carrefour and wandered around the beer aisles. Beer here is almost cheaper than water, and sometimes it actually is. Just a reminder that the conversion is approximately 6.8 rmb = 1 USD. There's really cheap brands like "Snow" and "Reeb" (my favorite only bc I can't stop laughing at the name) and also of course Tsingtao.













Here we get a little fancier with the foreign imports: Heineken, Corona, Newcastle. Jack and Coke pre-bottled. Also a new one I tried on a whim: this Suntory (Japanese brand) Mix of peach and beer. Not a cider! There's a fairly decent number of options for the thirsty...even Lindeman's Framboise if you wanted to drizzle some on your ice cream. Try it!



Of course beer is often accompanied by snacks of some sort, usually salty ones. I don't know if people actually pair spiced duck tongues with their Reeb, but I just wanted to show some of the more interesting fare available. Out of all of these things, I don't think I've ever had 'cowhells'.


This one's for John Du. I know I'll get a lot of flack for saying this...but couldn't they just let him have one tiny shred of dignity left? I hope the royalties from this are paying for all his open-to-the chest collared-shirts.



I wandered over to the produce, meat, and bakery section for more fun photos. Right after this picture, I got in trouble for snapping a shot of these adorable--but I'd never eat them--teddy bear breads.




I asked the dude why I couldn't take pictures and his reply was "You just can't. It's that simple lady." I just walked away because I didn't want to offend the secret police a second time. Remind me to tell the story about the first time.

































2 comments:

Unknown said...

more reeb stories please!

Unknown said...

Jack and coke in a ready-to-drink bottle?! I'm moving to China... hahahaha!

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates