Oct 10, 2009

Holiday Happenings

Oct 10, 2009
Since we had all this time off because of the National Holiday + Mid-Autumn Festival, we took a 1 day tour to do some rafting on the outskirts of Hangzhou. Yes, bamboo rafting again. The scenery wasn't quite as picturesque as Wuyi Shan, but there were plenty other ways to amuse ourselves.







First, the ride to the start point on a water buffalo-drawn cart.














While floating peacefully on the raft, we enjoyed live Chinese opera accompanied by traditional Chinese instruments such as the erhu. This lady was singing some well known ditty about Mao and redness and the sun and may he live forever.







Then you get to enjoy a nice charcoal bbq by the riverbanks. You order whatever you want and it's all at your pit before you even sit down. We were noobs and didn't know to bring our own foil and fresh fruits and ample plates and proper tools. But we did ok I think.











Since we always have to have rice, we ordered these sticky rice steamed in bamboo cylinders. They come whole and you crack em open and scoop out the sticky insides.










These children were clearly disregarding the warning signs. You can see them playing with the water launchers that were for sale everywhere. I gave every kid that floated by our raft a menacing-if-you-squirt-me-I'm-gonna-wade-through-this-3-feet-of-water-and-destroy-your-gun-with-my-bare-hands-glare.

It worked very well.




If you tired of water activities, there was also some horseback riding to enjoy.

I'm not an expert rider, but have you ever seen yourself on horseback? You look very silly. I'm glad there was no damaging video evidence of this.









There were also several couples getting their wedding photos and video shot here. Not really my idea of a holiday.










If you got really bored, you could also play with dead fish. Sushi anyone?













I admit we were really stretching for ways to kill time--that's the only way I can explain how I came to happen upon a blow up doll in the middle of a forest maze. Did I win? Did I? I love prizes!









Highlight of the trip.









I've never tried archery before and was surprised how difficult it was. I finally nicked the top of the target after 8 shots.













Just as addicting as carnival games. Here Jimmy is aiming very intently at his target. A small crowd was gathered, giving unsolicited advice as Chinese are wont to do.













On the very last shot--success!












One very expensive rooster.


Sorry for all my friends and casual passerbys who love animals. Several were harmed in the process. Just be glad I didn't put up the picture of the bleeding duck.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates