Oct 20, 2009

NSFW

Oct 20, 2009
I never found out what led to this person having her whole exposed cornea covered by conjunctiva. Sometimes the doctors are too busy to answer all my questions, and sometimes I just don't know how to ask. Here they are cutting away the symblepharon in the lower conjunctival fornice.






Here they are preparing some amniotic membrane. This stuff can be stretched super thin and all you need is a little piece.








Now they are sewing the stretched out piece over the lower palpebral conjunctiva. I'm guessing this is to help prevent the regrowth.









Voila! New lower fornix. I don't have great pictures post-op, but this lady had crazy amounts of extra conj and they docs were cutting it all away. Sidenote, they left the cornea as is. I was a little disappointed because I was hoping to see how they would be able to peel it away (if that's even possible). This was a chronic condition so the eye is pretty much useless/non-seeing anyway.



Sorry for the lack of eye-related posts. I keep forgetting to sort through them and sometimes I just don't feel like busting them out in a public cafe. But today I found a nice little corner to myself, so enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates